Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Game of Thrones is Garbage

DID YOU CATCH THE LAST EPISODE??? OMG I CAN'T BELIIIEVE ABOUT JON SNOW!!!

AND SOMETHING SOMETHING ABOUT DRAGONS!!!

Yeah... that's basically what life is like right now. Everybody is constantly raving about a show that I have not, and probably never will watch.




That Game of Thrones is popular makes sense to me. Of course it is. It's well written with compelling characters, great acting, beautiful scenery, and a driving story line. There's drama. There's action.

Oh, and if that's not enough to win you over, there's a lot of naked people.

Again, it makes total sense to me that the show is so popular. What makes less sense to me is that a show known for its explicit, graphic sex scenes and constant nudity is so popular amongst Christians.

When did we stop thinking these things were bad?

Is watching a woman undress only off limits if it's in a dark, smokey room that smells of cheap booze? Or is it equally wrong if it's on your television? If watching a couple go at it is wrong when you're by yourself on the internet, why wouldn't it be wrong when millions are watching it on HBO?

This should be a no-brainer.

However, I can guarantee that upon posting this, many Christians will flock to the show's defense. And they will need to stretch out first, as so not to sprain a hamstring whilst performing their act of mental contortionism.

Here are what their arguments will be:
1) It's art! 
2) It's not real! 
3) It doesn't bother my conscience!


Here's why those arguments are wrong:

1) Sure. It's art. And sometimes art is sinful. 
2) This usually comes in the form of "Well, murder is wrong, but I don't hear you raising a fuss when someone is murdered on TV." Yes, that's because when someone is murdered onscreen, they aren't actually dead. But when a woman strips nude onscreen, you are looking at a naked woman.
3) Well, maybe it should.


And I get it. I really do. I'm a huge fan of good writing. I love excellence. I love quality entertainment. And, no question about it, Game of Thrones is excellent, high quality entertainment.

Our family recently went shopping for a minivan. We gave the salesman our price range, and he brought out a lovely rig that was considerably above it. "You won't find anything this new with so little miles within a 500 mile radius," he promised. "Well," I responded, "then we'll find something older and with more miles. We're not going above our budget."

We were willing to say no to that vehicle and settle for a lower quality one if it meant retaining our budget. At the end of the day, our budget was more important than the minivan.

I wonder how many Christians would do the same for the sake of their holiness.

Game of Thrones is fantastic entertainment. But how much of your holiness are you willing to trade to for it?

"But among you there must not even be even a hint of sexual immorality, or any kind of impurity... these are improper for God's holy people." 
- Ephesians 5:3

2 comments:

  1. Yep, personally bummed because of all the nudididity - in all seriousness... I just want to watch good cinematography, acting, etc.; without the skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nessa and I said the exact same thing. There's a lot of shows that look really good, except they're packed with tons of nudity, profanity, etc. It's a shame.

      Delete